A glass of cocktail on your hand has marked most of your life’s days. Spicing things up and serving some of your favourite fizz-fuelled cocktails at home is how you can celebrate this World Cocktail Day.
One of the best ways people get together and bond over is by a glass of cocktail on their hands, it’s a conversation starter. It’s the perfect element to keep everything exciting and has definitely become a staple. With the growing nuances to add exciting twists of flavour to cocktails, innovations in this aspect have grown manifold.
This marvel creation – cocktails have come a long way since it was first cracked on 13 May in the early 1800s. Since then, we have evolved in terms of perspective and taste. Cocktails are now beautiful, Instagrammable, and we are all ready to experiment more! Open to trying different combinations and spirits, we are not restricted to an old-fashioned cocktail.
Image Credits: Smirnoff Moscow Mule (Diageo India)
Thanks to bar lounges, mixologists who are continuously working on creating newer cocktails and recreating the classic ones with a twist. The beautiful concoction that a cocktail creates with its ingredients is the key to unlocking a world of drinks – sometimes, spicy; sometimes, tangy but they always create a synergy of flavours.
Talking about the evolution of cocktails with various techniques and ingredients that lead to a unique experience, Vikram KU, Brand Ambassador of Diageo India shares, “Cocktails can be as versatile as you want it to be for you can include just about anything that is edible while mixing. All you have to do is find a good balance of the sugar content, the sweet and sour. Even if you do not have bar tools, you can improvise. A glass, a clean cocktail shaker, a good spoon and ice allows you to fix up a good concoction”
Now that we are stuck in our homes, we can make the perfect cocktails for ourselves within minutes. And to be able to do that, we bring to you a few recipes shared by experts themselves that will keep your interest piqued with easily available ingredients that can be clubbed with your favourite spirit, be it bourbon, scotch, champagne or Bailey’s. Cheers to World Cocktail Day!
Bourbon Cocktails World Cocktail Day 2021
As a world leader in premium spirits, Beam Suntory’s portfolio of world-renowned bourbon – Jim Beam beautifully bring out diverse, and unique flavours of cocktail inspired by the cultural nuances of Goa and West Bengal.
1. Claremont Club
- Jim Beam 50ml
- Raspberry Puree 2 bar spoons
- Cinnamon Syrup 10ml
- Sugar Syrup 10ml
- Lime Juice 25ml
- Egg White ½
- Mint Leaf for Garnish
- Coupe or Cocktail
- Shake and strain
- Mint Leaf. And fresh raspberries on a cocktail skewer if available.
2. The New York Sour
- Jim Beam 50ml
- Red Wine to Float 20ml
- Orange Juice 30ml
- Sugar Syrup 20ml
- Lemon Juice 20ml
- Rocks Glass
- Shake and Strain. For a little more depth, float red wine on the drink at the end.
Scotch Cocktails World Cocktail Day
Diageo India Brand Ambassador, Vikram KU put together one refreshing DIY cocktail with Black Dog Scotch, “The final maturation of Black Dog Scotch Whisky is in Oloroso Sherry Butts that brings in notes of rich berries and dried fruit. It can be best enjoyed with just a touch of spice and apple”
1. Black Dog Happiness
- Black Dog Triple Gold Reserve Scotch: 60ml
- Sugar Syrup: 10ml
- Apple Juice: 20ml
- Cinnamon Stick: 1
- Lime Wedge: 1
To Garnish: Cinnamon stick and thin slices of apple
- To pull out the beautiful flavours, muddle the cinnamon stick and lime wedge with some sugar syrup
- Shake it up with the 20ml apple juice and 60ml Black Dog Black Reserve Scotch Whisky
- Strain it an ice-filled glass
- Add a cinnamon stick and thin Apple Slices to finish this masterpiece.
Champagne Cocktails World Cocktail Day
Want to posh-up your bubbly? Champagne based cocktails are the best ones to go for and can add an even more festive air. Thanks to Moet & Chandon, their champagne cocktail recipes are an inspiration.
- 15ml – Agave Syrup
- 2 Dashes – Grapefruit Bitters
- 1 Dash – Orange Flower Water
- 100ml – Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial Champagne
- Pour all the ingredients into the coupe glass and top with Champagne.
- Garnish with edible flowers.
2. La Favorite
- 10ml – Benedictine
- 15ml – Lemon Juice
- 15ml – Honey Syrup
- 75ml – Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial
- Add the first three ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake with cubed ice and strain into a champagne flute and top with Champagne.
Classic Coffee Liqueur Cocktails
With their evolving innovation, Bailey’s has come a long way and continue to be the choice for a lot of men and women. Vikram shares another iconic cocktail recipe that’s a favourite amongst many. An indulgent treat that blends a classic Irish liqueur with cream, it is a combination that can never go out of style.
1. Bailey’s White Russian
- Bailey’s: 60ml
- Kahlua: 60ml
- Whipped Cream: 60ml
To Garnish: Whipped Cream
- Pour an equivalent amount (60ml) of Bailey’s, kahlua and fresh whipped cream into a glass.
- Stir until the mixture is chilled
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to the tip.